Monday, June 28, 2010

Ashland, VA June 26, 2010

Ashland, Virginia was a great stop! We signed up 15 possible competitors.

Greg says:
Learned a lot of great information about local hunting strategies and techniques. I had many specifically discuss the use of dogs while deer hunting. There seemed to be mixed feelings among those I talked to about this, but even those who opposed it admitted that it was a very exciting way to hunt.

Notably, out of the nine stops we have made thus far, only one woman has signed up. Today I interviewed three! One woman interviewed with her husband, who described how he proposed to her in their his-and-her tree stand! She more than held her own in her portion of the interview as she described setting up and dropping her deer "like a bad habit!"



I interviewed Jeana, an energetic young woman from Michigan who skillfully described her hunting techniques in a video interview. She subsequently signed up.

Finally, a couple approached our tent and the woman said that she was there to sign up her husband. When I began to interview him, she stood in the background prompting him with answers to my questions. Swiftly realizing where some unrealized talent lay, I turned my camera toward her and began questioning her directly. She answered my questions about strategy and technique with rapid fire accuracy and confidence, confessing that she had been hunting for 21 years, probably most of her life. I could not persuade her to sign up though. She refused, it appeared, out of deference to her husband.

All in all it was a very successful and satisfying stop. I continue to enjoy visiting with my fellow hunters and always look forward to the next conversation.

Next stop: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment